Sunday AM Remix – 2.12.12
* God isn’t just concerned with what you do, He’s also concerned with how you do it.
* When it comes to living for Christ in a dark world, when it comes to sharing the Gospel with lost people, God isn’t just interested in what we do, He’s also keenly interested in how we do it.
* God wants us to be, longs for us to be, and gives us every reason to be bold for His glory.
* In the New Testament alone, 42 times we are reminded that God wants us to be bold standing on His Word and sharing His truth.
“I am in chains now, still preaching this message as God’s ambassador. So pray that I will keep on speaking boldly for him, as I should.” Ephesians 6:20 (NLT)
“The wicked run away when no one is chasing them, but the godly are as bold as lions.” Proverbs 28:1 (NLT)
* You never have to protect a lion, you just let it out of the cage and it will protect itself.
* God wants His children to be like that…so moved by God’s grace, so gripped by His power, so armed by His Word that nothing intimidates them. Nothing backs them off of the truth.
BOLD BELIEVERS ARE PEOPLE WITH A…
1. DEEP MOTIVATION.
Boldness is open candor especially in the face of hostility. It is direct communication rooted in a lack of fear.
* Boldness isn’t pulpit pounding, red-faced preacher guy stuff. It’s not shoving it down someone’s throat whether they want to hear it or not.
* Boldness can be very soft, gentle, kind, and loving. It’s not mean; it’s not obnoxious; it’s not pushy. It’s just convinced. It’s not afraid, and it’s going to say it. It’s going to be said in a good way, but it’s going to get said. Why? Because there’s a deep motivation of Christ within.
“Now as they spoke to the people, the priests, the captain of the temple, and the Sadducees came upon them,being greatly disturbed that they taught the people and preached in Jesus the resurrection from the dead. And they laid hands on them, and put them in custody until the next day, for it was already evening. However, many of those who heard the word believed; and the number of the men came to be about five thousand.” Acts 4:1-4 (NKJV)
* A hostile response isn’t a sign you sharing it wrong.
* No one will come to Christ and be saved because you shared it right, it will be because God did a supernatural work in their heart. The pressure is not on you but God.
* We think we have to come up with some slick, winsome, subtle strategy for people to get it. That’s just not so. No. Just let the lion out of his cage and he will defend himself.
* Our job, like the disciples, is to have a deep motivation to share truth in love and let God do His thing.
* We have decide if we’d rather have people happy with us or God pleased with us.
* Bold Believers are deeply motivated by the desire for others to know Christ and the joy of He brings through His Gospel.
2. DISTINCT MESSAGE.
“And it came to pass, on the next day, that their rulers, elders, and scribes, as well as Annas the high priest, Caiaphas, John, and Alexander, and as many as were of the family of the high priest, were gathered together at Jerusalem. And when they had set them in the midst, they asked, ‘By what power or by what name have you done this?’ Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, ‘Rulers of the people and elders of Israel:If we this day are judged for a good deed done to a helpless man, by what means he has been made well,let it be known to you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, by Him this man stands here before you whole. This is the ‘stone which was rejected by you builders, which has become the chief cornerstone.’ Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.’ ” Acts 4:5-12 (NKJV)
* Boldness doesn’t come from what you know, or who you are, or what position you have.
* True boldness for Christ comes from the power and presence of the Holy Spirit.
* The same name that brought healing to a lame cripple, and can bring holiness to a loving convert, can bring hatred to a lost crowd.
* There is only one word of salvation, and that is the name of Jesus.
* There is only one way of salvation, and that is the death of Jesus.
* There is only one work of salvation, and that is the resurrection of Jesus.
* TRUTH: Salvation is not in a creed, it is not in a code, it is not in a cause, it is not in a church, it is in Christ. Jesus is not a good way to heaven, He is not a better way to heaven, He is not even the best way to heaven, He is the only way to heaven.
3. DEFINITE MISSION.
“Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. And they realized that they had been with Jesus. And seeing the man who had been healed standing with them, they could say nothing against it. But when they had commanded them to go aside out of the council, they conferred among themselves,saying, ‘What shall we do to these men? For, indeed, that a notable miracle has been done through them is evident to all who dwell in Jerusalem, and we cannot deny it. But so that it spreads no further among the people, let us severely threaten them, that from now on they speak to no man in this name.’ So they called them and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus. But Peter and John answered and said to them, ‘Whether it is right in the sight of God to listen to you more than to God, you judge. For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard.’ So when they had further threatened them, they let them go, finding no way of punishing them, because of the people, since they all glorified God for what had been done. For the man was over forty years old on whom this miracle of healing had been performed.” Acts 4:13-22 (NKJV)
* Ordinary men with neither degree nor pedigree.
* Their lives were so Christ-captured, so Christ-centered, so Christ-controlled, that it was obvious to these religious leaders who the disciples had been with
* The way to be like Jesus is to spend time with Him.
* REALITY: Many of us are far more concerned about what man can do to us than what God can do for us?
* OUCH: If a law were passed today that would make it a crime to talk about Jesus, it wouldn’t bother many of us, because many of us never talk about Jesus anyway.
4. DEPENDENT MINDSET.
“And being let go, they went to their own companions and reported all that the chief priests and elders had said to them. So when they heard that, they raised their voice to God with one accord and said: ‘Lord, You are God, who made heaven and earth and the sea, and all that is in them, who by the mouth of Your servant David have said: ‘Why did the nations rage, and the people plot vain things? The kings of the earth took their stand, and the rulers were gathered together against the Lord and against His Christ.’ ‘For truly against Your holy Servant Jesus, whom You anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles and the people of Israel, were gathered together to do whatever Your hand and Your purpose determined before to be done. Now, Lord, look on their threats, and grant to Your servants that with all boldness they may speak Your word, by stretching out Your hand to heal, and that signs and wonders may be done through the name of Your holy Servant Jesus.’And when they had prayed, the place where they were assembled together was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the word of God with boldness.” Acts 4:23-31 (NKJV)
* They knew they could not be bold without the help of God.
* They knew they could shrink back up in fear and hide from the authorities if let on their own.
* So they prayed for God to fill them with His Spirit and provide the boldness they needed to preach the Word and spread the Gospel.
* QUESTION: When’s the last time you prayed for boldness? When’s the last time you needed it?
SMALL GROUP DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
1. Read Acts 4:1-31. Pastor Bob said, “God isn’t just interested in what you do, He’s also concerned with how you do it.” Do you believe this? If so, list some ways we see this in Scripture. How do we see this in Acts 4?
2. What roles did the priest, captain of the guard and the Sadducees play in the ministry of Jesus (Luke 20:27-40, 22:6,52)? What are some of the thoughts Peter and John would have had when seeing these religious people coming at them?
3. What is the most persecution you have experienced due to your faith? How did you take it?
4. Why would the Sadducees oppose the disciples’ preaching?
5. What was Pastor Bob’s definition of boldness? Would you consider yourself a bold believer? Why or why not?
6. Why do you think being a bold believer is important to God? Who in your life does God want you to be a bold witness for Him? How are you doing?
7. Read Matthew 26:69-72 and Acts 4:8-13. How are Peter’s responses different in these two situations? What happened to him? Which one are you more like today? Why?
8. Read verse 13 again. Does this seem harsh or narrow to you? Why? How is this verse controversial today? How do we see Christians trying to soften this verse?
9. Comparing your spiritual life to a car’s gas tank, what is your reading: full to the brim, running low, on empty, half a tank? Explain.
10. How can your group pray specifically for you this week?
MUSICAL WORSHIP SET
Today Is The Day – Brewster
Joyful – Brown
Your Name – Baloche
How Great Is Our God – Tomlin
10,000 Reasons – Redman
We hope that you found Sundays Message and following Small Group Questions helpful. If you missed this weeks message, I encourage you to get it here. While you are there, browse around our website … we think you will like it and find it to be a great tool in inviting friends to FBC Harvester.
As always, I hope you make plans to join us at FBC Harvester next weekend! If distance is a problem, you are always welcome to listen to any of the teachings from our worship service on our website. If you have questions, please feel free to contact us here. We would love the privilege of helping where we can and seeing God do amazing things in our lives together.