* We love to see humility done well in others. In fact humility is so beautiful that it is breathtaking when it is done in front of us.
* REALITY: we don’t see humility lived out as often as we should.
* We have famous people all the time living out the opposite of humility … pride.
* GREAT INSIGHT: Humility is like a diamond, its valuable because it is rare.
* TRUTH: The most humble expression shown to man came in the birth of Christ
* He became nothing so we could become something.
* The Bible says over 40 times to “humble yourselves.”
* REALITY: Humility is best and most authentic when you do it yourself.
* TRUTH: You are never more like God then when you humble yourself.
“. . . All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, ‘God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.’ Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time.” 1 Peter 5:5-6 (NIV)
* Greek word for humble = Tapeinos. It literally means to level a hill or mountain.
* Humility is not a badge you where but an attitude you have. It is an intentional act.
BE WRAPPED UP IN HUMILITY THIS CHRISTMAS BY …
1. FIGHTING AGAINST YOUR PRIDE.
“Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. 4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.” Philippians 2:3-4 (NKJV)
* Unity requires humility.
* What defiles a man is what is on the inside . . . . All of us were born with pride.
* Pride is natural … Humility is super natural.
* Pride is one of those diseases that make everyone around you sick.
The PQ test (prideful quotient)
1. I enjoy being the center of attention. yes or no
2. I think I deserve the best. yes or no
3. Much of my conversation is filled with “I”. yes or no
4. I find it difficult to admit that I’m wrong. yes or no
5. I seldom pass a mirror without looking at myself. yes or no
6. I’m stubborn-I don’t like to be corrected or change! yes or no
7. My feelings are easily hurt. yes or no
8. I am impatient with other people’s mistakes. yes or no
9. I don’t get enough appreciation for all that I do. yes or no
10. I’m offended if I render a service and don’t receive a “thank you”. yes or no
11. I seldom ask for help, because I can do the job better myself. yes or no
12. I feel pretty good that I didn’t check “yes” to every question. yes or no
3 Big Problems With Pride:
- Pride produces CONFLICT.
* There is no problem to big to be worked out, just people to small to solve them.
“Pride leads to conflict . . .” Proverbs 13:10a (NLT)
- Pride leads TO RUIN.
* Whatever you want to ruin, just be prideful.
“Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.”
Proverbs 16:18 (NIV)
“Pride leads to disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.”
Proverbs 11:2 (NLT)
* The only place pride doesn’t go before a fall is in the dictionary.
* Satan had a pride problem and it led to ruin. READ – Isaiah 14
* LEGIT: Satan isn’t working another scheme, he’s just presenting to you a different apple.
- Pride provokes GOD.
* In proverbs thee are 12 things God hates and pride is number 1.
“But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: ‘God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.’” James 4:6 (NKJV)
* When you are prideful you put yourself on the opposite side of God.
* If you don’t humble yourself, God will humble you!!!
2. FOLLOWING AFTER YOUR EXAMPLE.
“Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. and being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.” Philippians 2:5-8 (NKJV)
Steps that God took to reveal humility …
Step Down #1: God came to EARTH.
* The word “Form” = the “essence of” or “character of”. Jesus is the essence of God. He was the unchangeable character of God.
“Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. He existed before anything was created and is supreme over all creation. . .” Colossians 1:15a (NLT)
Step Down #2: God became a MAN.
* Incarnate – carne = means meat! Jesus is the physical presence of God. He is God with meat on his bone. He is God with skin on.
* Jesus is fully God, yet fully man.
Step Down #3: Jesus came to DIE.
“And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.”
Philippians 2:8 (NKJV)
* Jesus humiliated himself so that He could exonerate you and I.
* Why did He do this …
- To demonstrate Gods love
- Pay for our sins.
“. . . looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” Hebrews 12:2 (NKJV)
“. . . who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness—by whose stripes you were healed.” 1 Peter 2:24 (NKJV)
“For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.” Matthew 23:12 (NIV)
* TRUTH: On Jesus was laid my death so that on me could be laid his life.
* TRUTH: One of these days every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus is Lord
* QUOTE: We can’t get credit for kneeling when it becomes impossible to stand – C.S. Lewis
* REMEMBER: EGO = Edging God Out
SMALL GROUP DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
1. What’s the most humbling thing you do on a regular basis? Why do you do it? Who do you do it for?
2. Read 1 Peter 5:5-6. Why do you think God commands us in Scripture to ‘humble ourselves’? Why doesn’t He do it for us? What practical ways do we ‘clothe’ ourselves in humility? How might you humble yourself this week so others might be lifted up?
3. Read Philippians 2:1-4. Reading between the lines, what seems to be the problem in church at Philippi? What does it mean to consider someone ‘better than yourself’ (verse 3)?
4. On a scale of 1 to 10, what is your pride level? Read Proverbs 13:10, 16:8, 11:2, and James 4:6. What kind of problems does pride cause? How have you seen this happen in your own life?
5. How does humility differ from being a doormat?
6. Pastor Bob mentioned pride is root of all sin. Do you agree with this statement? Why are why not? Talk about the last time your pride got you in a disagreement? Why is it so difficult to battle our pride?
7. Pastor Bob mentioned that Satan appealed to Eve’s pride and she gave in and eat the apple. What is your “apple”…where do you give in to pride? What area in your life is the most difficult to hand over to God?
8. Read Philippians 2:5-11. What does it mean that Jesus is ‘in the form of God’? What do you think it was like for Jesus to leave heaven and become human?
9. In what ways did Jesus demonstrate that He was 100% human? In what ways did He demonstrate that He was 100% God?
10. Pastor Bob shared two specific reasons Jesus came to die? Do you remember what they were? Check out Romans 5:8 and 1 Peter 2:24.
11. How can Jesus’ example inspire you to think less of yourself and more about others?
12. Jesus rescued us from being a slave to pride! Do you feel that freedom or do you feel enslaved to your pride? Why or Why Not?
13. What is one specific way you can imitate Christ’s humility this coming week?
MUSICAL WORSHIP SET
Joy To The World (Unspeakable) – Tomlin
The First Noel – Wickham
He Is Exalted – Shane & Shane
Filled With Glory – Gungor
We hope that you found Sundays Message and following Small Group Questions helpful. If you missed this weeks message, I encourage you to get it here. While you are there, browse around our website … we think you will like it and find it to be a great tool in inviting friends to FBC Harvester.
As always, I hope you make plans to join us at FBC Harvester next weekend! If distance is a problem, you are always welcome to listen to any of the teachings from our worship service on our website. If you have questions, please feel free to contact us here. We would love the privilege of helping where we can and seeing God do amazing things in our lives together.